Sunday, December 7, 2008

Mom's Health Update 12/7/08

Heather writes:

December Greetings to you all.

Thank you again, for praying and caring during this difficult time with Mom.

Thanksgiving was wonderful. Mom has been struggling with smells making her nauseous. She was concerned that scrumptious Thanksgiving smells would be difficult for her. But, she did just fine! Tom, Margie, and their boys hosted a fabulous Thanksgiving. We brought Mom's pillow and blankie in case she needed to rest. Ryan had so kindly prepared his room to let Mom use it as her siesta spot. She found Toby's shoulder to be a great resting spot and did a couple of laps in the house with her walker. We had a great time being together.

The day after Thanksgiving, Sue, Mom's cousin came to be with Mom. She brought her naturally nurturing way about her and blessed Mom and Dad with sweet company, Midwest comfort food, practical care, and lots of love.

Well, as Mom words it, she "flunked" xeloda. This the oral chemo that they had her on for a week. I don't know that I will call it "flunked" for a couple of reasons. One being that it worked! Only 40% of patients that have taken it have had positive results...she's one of the 40%! Her liver enzymes and cancer markers are lower...still high but better. Another reason I would say that Mom didn't "flunk" xeloda, is that she endured this extremely strong chemo and it's side effects for a week! This is no little endeavor.

Another praise is that during the following week of no chemo, her liver enzymes didn't worsen! Thank you, Lord!

The new plan of action is IV rounds of chemo. Her first was on Dec. 2nd, and it was an extremely high dose for the time. As a friend has reminded us, chemo is a double-edged sword. The side effects are fierce at times...nausea, extreme exhaustion, dizziness, and shakiness have been the most dominant recently. She goes for another round of this chemo on Dec. 9th and then again on Dec. 23rd. Our prayer request is that this chemo works well at killing off the cancer and the side effects do not become overbearing. Please pray with us about this.

Mom has been very stiff, most likely from inactivity. She has needed assistance with many tasks. She has found a walker to be a form of transportation for her recently. Due to her liver sitting on her diaphragm, it is difficult for Mom to have long conversations. It is very difficult to see Mom endure so much pain and discomfort. She told me the other day, "Don't worry Heather, this is the chemo causing me to have a hard time."

Mom has reflected on much during this. Your endless support of prayers, cards, food, visits, and encouragement have meant so much. She also has been reflecting on how much of a saint her own mother was...having very limited mobility most of her adult life. Mom said she now realizes, from a bit of experience, what life was like for her mom. Perspective from someone else's shoes can be so eye-opening and life changing.

We, as a family, feel so blessed to have all of you go through this with us. I know we probably overdo it with saying thank you, but we just feel that we can't say it enough. So, thank you and please keep praying.

Blessings,

Heather Hofman

7 comments:

Karl Mueller said...

Not a day goes by when Debbie and I don't think about and pray for you Karla -- and your family. We love you guys.

Karl and Debbie Mueller

Heather said...

Karla...I am keeping you close to heart during this physical and emotional journey. You have been my inspiration for keeping my faith in God when others may question His reasoning. He put you in my life for a reason.

Rest my friend.

Heather T.

Unknown said...

Karla, My thoughts are with you. to open your heart to the joy of the Lord as he brings your friends close to your side. Nadine DeVita

Charlene said...

Come Holy Spirit be with me now. How exciting to know my Creator in Heaven can be with me always. How exciting that one day I will be with you in Heaven. I AM BLESSED!

Your blessings have flowed to me in abundance. THANK YOU JESUS! You know my need. Come and be my Counselor. Speak to me and may I hear your voice. Give me discernment to know you. Give me patience to listen for your voice and boldness to follow you. Give me courage and perseverance to obey you. COME HOLY SPIRIT BE MY GUIDE TODAY!

THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO BE A VESSEL FOR YOUR KINGDOM!

And that is the mystery! How you can use someone like me! THANK YOU JESUS! May my life be open to you and may I serve you with joy and gladness. Teach me to pray. Fill my heart with your words that I speak truth and light. May I comfort your fellow children.

TO YOU LORD, ALL THE GLORY AND HONOR. TO YOU ALL THE PRAISE AND THANKSGIVING. YOU ARE MY LORD AND SAVIOR, MY FATHER, MY FRIEND, MY ALL.

AMEN.

Sandy said...

I think I have finally figured out how to get on your blog. More later.

Hugs,
Sandy

Sandy said...

Dear Friend,
You and your lovely family are in my prayers. It is said that suffering is God's way to teach, discipline and refine us. While this is true, it also causes us to trust God for who He is, not what he does.

May your immeasurable faith sustain you in His tender care.
Love You,
Sandy

Sandy said...

Dear Karla,
Angels surround you and comfort you. You are most precious in His sight.Sending you prayers of thanksgiving for putting you in my life. I see you at your desk looking out the window with that beautiful smile of yours. God Bless You.
Sandy